Updated: Jan 31
Not only are fireplaces a gorgeous design element to add to your home, they function as a cozy heat source through the cold nights of winter. While beautiful, they can be dangerous to little hands. Keep the littles safe this winter with these tips.
It's always a good idea to have your fireplace and chimney inspected by a professional each year, whether or not you plan to use the it.
Prior to lighting your fire, be sure the damper or flue is open. This draws the smoke out of your house and up through the chimney or vent. When finished, do no close the damper/flue until the hot embers have ceased burning.
Clean any ashes leftover from previous fires prior to lighting a new one.
The type of wood you use is important. Use wood that is dry. Wet or green tinged wood causes more smoke, which can be toxic. Dry wood will also burn more evenly.
Home or Holiday decor should not be placed near the fireplace - where an ember can jump out and cause a fire.
Be aware of stockings hung, or mantle decorations that could burn.
Depending on the type of fireplace you use, all precautions should be taken to child proof the switch that turns on a fireplace, or the key that turns the gas on. Most keys can be removed unless ready to use.
Fireplace tools should be kept out of little hands' reach and the screen or glass should be closed to help prevent accidents.
SafetyNook offers a variety of gates available to surround your fireplace and hearth, giving an extra layer of security to keep your children safe.
Never leave the fire unattended and be sure that it is completely extinguished prior to retiring for the night or leaving the house.
Ensure that all smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are in working order and the batteries are new each year.
Communicate with your children and teach them of the dangers of fire.