Carbon Monoxide poisoning is entirely preventable. Keeping vigilant to protect your family will go a long way. We have some tips to help you prevent a tragedy.
Where Carbon Monoxides Originates
Carbon monoxide is created by household items including, furnaces, ovens, gas ranges, car emissions in the garage, kerosene heaters and generators. It's also produced by simply burning wood or coal.
It builds up in smaller, partially or fully enclosed areas, such as a garage. This is why "warming up" your car in the garage is not a good idea if you keep the garage door closed.
The risk for carbon monoxide poisoning rises during the colder months when families are using their central heating systems in their homes. Not only are our families at risk, but our pets are as well. CO is toxic to their systems just as it is to ours.
Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Nausea (with or without vomiting)
A bigger threat is to those who are sleeping or under the influence of alcohol. They can actually die from carbon monoxide poisoning without displaying symptoms.
Preventing Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Purchase a carbon monoxide detector, if you do not have one already. Some fire alarms detect both fire and carbon monoxide. These should be placed in the same areas as your fire alarms.
Ensure a qualified technician thoroughly inspects your water heater, home heating systems and any appliance that uses gas, oil or is coal burning.
Have your flue inspected and ensure that it is clean. Often, birds or other small animals build nests when the fireplace isn't being utilized.
Have your air vents cleaned to prevent build-up
Do not use any gasoline powered engines, such as a car or generator, near open windows or vents leading to the home or garage. Do not use them in enclosed areas.
Should you suspect that you or a family member is sick from carbon monoxide poisoning, call 911 immediately.